If you’re planning a bit of home improvement this season, you should focus on your windows. These essential components add greatly to your home’s looks, comfort, and efficiency. If they’re already old and failing, the smartest solution will be window replacement.
While it seems like a straightforward project, investing in new windows in Springfield, IL, requires careful planning. Renewal by Andersen® of Central Illinois, your premier window company, can make the process easier. Here are some of the factors you should consider when choosing replacement units:
- Sash – This moveable frame holds the window glass. A double-hung window, for instance, has two movable sashes.
- Muntins – This refers to strips of wood that divide the sash into smaller sections of glass. These smaller glass sections are lites.
- R-Value – The R-value measures the insulating property of the window. A high R-value means greater insulation. This means there’s less potential for costly energy to leak out of your home.
- Mull – This means to join two or more windows together. Mulling can create interesting window combinations that offer a unique, more personalized look to your home. For example, you can add double-hung replacement windows in Decatur, IL, to your picture units. Normally fixed windows like picture can now let in considerable natural ventilation.
- Flashing – This thin layer of metal or other waterproof material keeps water out of the joints at the corners.
When Installing Windows
The process of window installation is just as vital as window selection. First, you need to decide on placement. Which windows suit a particular area in your home? For instance, it can be difficult to open a double-hung window over the kitchen sink, so you should consider a casement instead. This window style fits better than double-hung in compact spaces but provides the same ventilation benefits.
You should also consider what framing material your replacement windows in Springfield, IL, should use. This factor affects the longevity and performance of your new units. Renewal by Andersen of Central Illinois uses exclusive FIbrex® composite for frames and sashes. This material doesn’t crack, pit, or corrode, and keeps an airtight seal that prevents air and moisture from leaking in. When combined with our High-Performance™ Low-E4® glass, you can expect windows that improve your home’s energy efficiency.
Turn to Renewal by Andersen of Central Illinois for your window replacement needs. Call us at (866) 693-6707 or fill out our form today for a free estimate.